Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Low Fat, Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles


These are one of my FAVORITE breakfasts.  I modified a personal favorite that I ate BEFORE--it was amazing, but had TONS of fat and refined sugars and flour.  This version is much better for our bodies.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 egg, separated
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup skim milk
1 Tbs vinegar (makes the milk like buttermilk)

Beat egg white until fluffy.  Mix remaining ingredients in separate bowl just until moistened.  Fold in egg white, leaving a few fluffs.  Cook in waffle iron. 
I eat these with some homemade apricot jam, and they are wonderful.

My waffle iron makes four small waffles, for a total of about 14 small waffles.  Based on a serving size of two small waffles, each serving contains 1 gram fat, 18 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams protein.


0 comments: