Tuesday, March 20, 2012

 
I have been implementing a "healthy living lifestyle" for about 10 months now.  
It started because I couldn't lose the baby weight after
baby number five quit nursing last year.
Once I wean, at least 5 pounds
fell right off the next week.
Not this time.
I was not a happy camper.

So, I used my amateur body building husband's
Excel spreadsheet program
to create my own "diet" plan.
It's not really a diet.
It's a lifestyle change.
I FEEL better.  I look better.
And yes, I lost weight.  
In fact, it worked so well,
that I lost ALL my babies'
weight.
Now I'm back to the weight I was
pre-children.
A great place to be.
Except...
my body isn't the same.
I'm mostly okay with this.
That's what a good push up bra is for.
But, I'm not okay with
loose skin and excess fat
hanging over my jeans
when I sit down.
I'm not used to it
I'm not comfortable.

Time to implement strength training.
Again, advice from my fitness obsessed husband.
Thank you honey.
It's nice to be married to my 
own personal trainer.

So, here's what I did:
I eat whole grains, lots of vegetables, lean protein
all the stuff we know we're supposed to eat.
But, it's the percentages that made the difference for me.
I read Jillian Michaels' book
Winning by Losing: Drop the Weight, Change Your Life
I calculated my BMI, the level of calories needed to maintain
all that.
Then I put it in Excel.
But, I changed how much of each
macronutrient I was eating.
The weight FELL OFF.   
I lost
about a pound a week
for a total of 14 pounds
in about 4 months.
Finally!
I thought I had to live with it.
It wasn't so bad.
I was still thin.
Just not as skinny as I used to be.
I told myself
I wouldn't trade my kids to have
my 24-inch
waist back.
But, maybe I can have
both.
Right now,
my waist is about 25 inches.
I can live with that
But, still a little more 
squishy
than what I'm comfortable with.

Now, I'm doing cardio
light running/jogging
30 minutes a day
at least 3 days a week
some weeks I'm able to do it
6 days.
Then I do some weights.
My husband has power bands.
Those are great.
I also have some home weights.
I do the AB Wheel
for a great  ab burn
and other times I do
leg lifts for lower abs
and crunches on lats
and upper abs.
It's only been two weeks
so I will be patient.

I do this all from home.
My husband goes to the gym
5 days a week.
I will just work it
in between dishes,
laundry, vacuuming,
kids' homework,
etc.
It's doable.
And I feel better.



0 comments: